Blogger Widgets

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Black Canary/ Oracle Birds of Prey Volume 1 by Chuck Dixon

Author: Chuck Dixon
Illustrator:
Title:Black Canary/Oracle Birds of Prey Volume 1
Publication: February 1999
Publisher: DC Comics
Genre: Graphic Novel, Comic Book, Super Heroes.
Pages: 208
Audience: 15 and up
Rating: 4 out of 5
Source: Purchased

Synopsis (from the cover): Alone, they are driven vigilantes...together they are a force to be reckoned with. 
Name: Barbara Gordon 
Alias: Oracle
 The former Batgirl, she now serves as information broker to the super-hero community-all the while searching for something beyond the limitations fate has forced upon her.
Name: Dinah Lance
Alias: Black Canary
A master of judo, aikido, karate, and several other martial arts, this ex- Justice Leaguer now finds herself searching for a new direction, a new outlet for her talents.


My Thoughts:
I am a huge fan of Barbara Gordon, who is Batgirl/Oracle. I am also a fan of the Birds of Prey, mainly thanks to Babs. I started the New 52 Birds of Prey and decided I wanted the entire original back story. My husband lovingly spent months, time, and money on helping me collect the original story. The art in this book is marvelous as well as the writing. Granted, the art is a little dated looking. I thought it looked a bit like the 80s or 90s. It is from 1999, so that could explain it, but it is worth the read. Chuck Dixon is one of my husband's favorite comic book writers, and he hasn't let me down on any story I have read by him so far. 
The story is essentially how Black Canary and Oracle come together to create this team of heroines to save Gotham and the rest of the world. The story throws in some details that are probably explained in other comics or hopefully in the future comics of this series. Some of it is kind of understood, like everyone should know that the Joker shoot Barbara Gordon and paralyzes her. She then uses her knowledge and technology to help the super heroes fight the bad guys, and she turns into the Oracle. Occasionally other questionable ladies are thrown into the mix like Catwoman, Lois Lane, Lady Shiva, and the Huntress (I REALLY hate her, especially since the show Arrow had her on there.). Even though there are other characters mixed in, Black Canary proves time and time again she can take care of herself, with a little help from Oracle. If you are interested in the series at all, I strongly recommend this "origin" story.

No comments:

Post a Comment