Blogger Widgets

Monday, June 23, 2014

Audio Review: The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison

Title: The Silent Wife
Author: A.S.A. Harrison
Narrator: Karen White and Donald Corren
Publisher: Blackstone Audio
Format: Unabridged Audio
Length: 8 hrs 57 mins
Publication: June 29, 2013
Source: Library
Genre: Psychological Thriller, Mystery


Synopsis: 
A chilling psychological thriller about a marriage, a way of life, and how far one woman will go to keep what is rightfully hers

Jodi and Todd are at a bad place in their marriage. Much is at stake, including the affluent life they lead in their beautiful waterfront condo in Chicago, as she, the killer, and he, the victim, rush haplessly toward the main event. He is a committed cheater. She lives and breathes denial. He exists in dual worlds. She likes to settle scores. He decides to play for keeps. She has nothing left to lose. Told in alternating voices, The Silent Wife is about a marriage in the throes of dissolution, a couple headed for catastrophe, concessions that can’t be made, and promises that won’t be kept. Expertly plotted and reminiscent of Gone Girl and These Things Hidden, The Silent Wife ensnares the reader from page one and does not let go.

My Thoughts: This story really made me think, what would I do in the same situation? Many times I found myself yelling at Jodi. As a mental health professional I felt that she should know how to respond to the situations she is faced with and not be in denial. At the same time I realize that I probably would have done the same thing. 

Todd is a self made man. He has worked hard to become the businessman that he is today. He is selfish yet he wants to do the right thing. I both loved and hated Todd. I loved him for wanting to do the right thing and hated him for treating Jodi as if she were nothing. In the end I wasn't sure as to who was actually responsible but I was pleasantly satisfied with how things ended. 

This is a multi-voiced unabridged audio production. The original work is appropriated for the audio medium. The narrators bring feeling and depth to the story. Each narrator clearly differentiated each character. Pace is well maintained throughout the production and plot flows with interruption. 


No comments:

Post a Comment