Blogger Widgets

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Birds of Prey Volume 1: Trouble in Mind (New 52)

Author: Duane Swierczynski

Illustrator: Jesus Saiz
Title: Birds of Prey Volume 1: Trouble in Mind
Publication: September 18, 2012
Publisher: DC Comics
Genre: Graphic Novel, Comic Book, Villains 
Pages: 160
Audience: 17 and up
Rating: 5 out of 5
Source: Purchased

Synopsis (from the cover ):

The sirens of the night. One is wanted for a murder. The other is on the run for knowing too much. Together, Black Canary and Starling work in Gotham City, taking down the villains other heroes can't touch. But now, as a grizzled newspaper reporter threatens to expose them, the two get sucked into a nightmare involving stolen pharmaceuticals, terrorists for hire, and killers in stealth suits who can appear-and disappear- at will. Realizing that Gotham City's citizens are in grave danger, Black Canary recruits Katana, a vengeful samurai and the notorious bio terrorist Poison Ivy. Will the Birds of Prey be able to work together to save Gotham?
My thoughts:
I have read a few Birds of Prey graphic novels before the New 52 rolled out and wasn't impressed. It could have been the fact that there was so much back story that I was totally lost. For Trouble in Mind, you don't have to know an awful lot about Black Canary or Starling or Katana. I feel the New 52 is a bit more graphic...and there is a lot, a lot of gore and violence in this graphic novel. I'm also not a fan of the New 52 outfits. I hate them. Poison Ivy looks stupid. I know this will sound anti-feminist, but I liked her ivy leotard...I'm not sure what this solar panel/ivy/green body suit is, but I'm not a fan. (I won't even go on my rant about Harley Quinn's new attire).  
As from the title of this trade paperback, Trouble in Mind, it gets pretty crazy trying to keep up with everything. Towards the end of the book I was having to flip back to the page I previously read because I thought I might have skipped over something. It messes with your mind a bit...especially if it is 1 AM and you have been battling a sinus infection. However, if you are new to comics or want to start on something new. DC's New 52 is the perfect place to start. For a new beginning, it was a great start because now I'm a fan of the Birds of Prey.

No comments:

Post a Comment