Blogger Widgets

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Review: Ivy in Bloom: The Poetry of Spring from Great Poets and Writers from the Past By Vanita Oelschlager


Title: Ivy in Bloom: The Poetry of Spring from Great Poets and Writers from the Past

Author: Vanita Oelschlager
Publication: April 1, 2009
Publisher: Vanita Books
Source: Publisher via NetGalley
Genre: Children’s Poetry
Audience: 5 and up


Summary
Ivy in Bloom captures the weariness of a young girl tired of a long winter. "I stare out the window," she says on the first spread of brown and gray, "looking for birds or flowers / or even warm showers / but I don't see any such thing." But then Spring comes when "March is out of breath snow melting to flowery waters and watery flowers spring rose from its wintry rest." And Ivy's "heart dances with daffodils." As these words also dance across each spread, Ivy's world erupts into a riot of color. 

Ivy in Bloom introduces the poetry of Dickinson, Longfellow, Browning, Wordsworth, Frost and others. Excerpts from their writings, as seen through Ivy's eyes, will open up poetry as a way for children to express their own feelings about the changing of seasons. This book includes longer excerpts and brief bios of each author.

My Thoughts
We have all experienced that winter weariness where you just can’t wait for spring and all the pretty flowers. I wish it was spring year round. The weather is pleasant, everything is blooming and full of color. This is a very cute book. The Illustrations are done wonderfully. It is wonderful how Oelschlager blends her poetry with works from classic poets to create something great and new. I’m getting this one for my winter dreariness arsenal.  At the end of the book there is a bibliography referencing the poems used in the book, but in a longer form. There is also a miniature of the illustration. All net profits from this book will be donated to charitable organizations, with a gentle preference towards serving people with multiple sclerosis. 


5 comments:

  1. Looks like a cute book, I like spring but I like fall, too. I think they both are pleasant seasons...but spring makes my allergies go haywire. I love the colors:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know you love some pollen.

      Delete
    2. I love the things that it comes out of but not what it does to me.

      Delete
  2. This book looks so adorable! I love how they are introducing children to classic poets. Such a creative idea! I have a friend who is majoring in elementary education and she wants to expose her children to the classic poets by actually reading the poems. The teacher whose class she was teaching told her that the information would go over the student's head. However, this is a perfect alternative. I'll have to share this with her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the review. how i really wish i could experience what the girl was in..a winter weather. so by this book i think i could experience your winter season since i am from a tropical country, i always love the rain, the cold breeze but i don't know how it feels to be in your winter season. :) the book could totally help me feel that way. :) by your reviews, i could imagine how you felt so comfortably reading in a sofa near the window..hmm..what a cozy feeling.

    ReplyDelete