Blogger Widgets

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Sandman Collected Library

Author: Neil Gaiman
Title:The Sandman
Publication: January 1989 until March 1996
Publisher: Vertigo
Genre: Graphic Novel, Fantasy, Mythology
Pages (Number of graphic novels): 10
Audience: 17 and up
Rating: 5 out of 5
Source: Public Library


Goodreads Synopsis: Neil Gaiman's epic mythological fantasy about Dream, one of the seven Endless who embody destiny, death, dream, destruction, desire, despair, delight, and delirium.

My thoughts:

As we all know, I am a Neil Gaiman fan. After hearing and seeing the Sandman saga over the years, I decided it was time to read it all. I have recently turned to graphic novels because my boyfriend was reading them and enjoying them. I decided to give it a try and I survived. I believe I started reading the Sandman either in December 2011 or January 2012. Either way, my journey with the Endless has been over a span of 5-7 months. The local public library has made plenty of money on the fines I've paid for these books, and then in turn I've waited months for some of the graphic novels to be returned. I feel like it is unfair to lump them together like this. Each novel contains a story all on it's own, and in the end they come together and become a beautiful cohesive story. I strongly recommend reading them in order and in a timely manner. I shamefully had forgotten characters from volume one by the time I reached volume eight. Gaiman does refresh your memory so you are not in the dark, but it would be better to read them closer together. The artwork in the novels is just amazing and disturbing. This is not a pretty, everything is happy graphic novel, it has some really gritty moments. However, the story is really entertaining. I can't say much about the plot or characters without ruining something, but I will give a brief over view. The main story is about Dream/Morpheus/The Sandman, he goes by several names. He is part of the Endless family that have been around before mankind and will continue until all mankind is dead. You meet his family and their importance to him and to mankind. It is an extremely fascinating tale. I hate to say this, but I'm going to anyway. Please forgive me if you are a graphic novel/comic book fan. I am one too, but I believe the storyline in this particular library collection is more story base and art base driven than the typical comic book. This is not your typical art you see in a comic nor is it the typical story line. It is just like reading an actual novel, but with pictures that help convey the story. If you ever wanted to try a graphic novel or try comic books, I believe this is the best crossover between a novel type story and a comic book. Go pick up Nocturnes and Preludes, it is the introduction and the story is a little slow until volume 3, and then you see the cohesiveness about volume 6, that is when everything starts tying together. The only thing I did not like was the last  two volumes. It answered questions and provided a great conclusion, but I felt like ending with volume eight would have been perfect. Like I said, I understand the last two volumes concluded the saga/series/library, but I just felt eight was perfect for ending it. I also know that Neil Gaiman loved writing the Sandman and continues to produce "side" stories, which are stories that either took place before or after the Sandman library. I encourage you as a reader to step out of your comfort zone and try just one comic book/graphic novel. You don't have to like it or continue with the series, but try something new. Who knows, you may like it. I know I did!

3 comments:

  1. Neil Gaiman's books sound so amazing! Alas, I have never read anything from him. Hope we'll get some of his books here soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like his works. I prefer his novels, children books,and graphic novels/comics. His short stories are okay. I hope to try to giveaway one of the Sandman graphic novels or one of his novels soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neil Gaiman is a top notch talent. I haven't read any of his works but the interviews I've watched have given me great insight in his work. Glad you gave this review.

    ReplyDelete