Blogger Widgets

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Review: One Moment by Kristina McBride

Title: One Moment
Author: Kristina McBride
Publication: June 26, 2012
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Source: Publisher via netgalley
Genre: Young Adult
Audience: 14 and up
Rating: 4.5 of 5

Website|Amazon |Goodreads

Summary
This was supposed to be the best summer of Maggie's life. Now it's the one she'd do anything to forget.

Maggie remembers hanging out at the gorge with her closest friends after a blowout party. She remembers climbing the trail with her perfect boyfriend, Joey. She remembers that last kiss, soft, lingering, and meant to reassure her. So why can't she remember what happened in the moment before they were supposed to dive? Why was she left cowering at the top of the cliff, while Joey floated in the water below-dead? 

As Maggie's memories return in snatches, nothing seems to make sense. Why was Joey acting so strangely at the party? Where did he go after taking her home? And if Joey was keeping these secrets, what else was he hiding? 

The latest novel from the author of "The Tension of Opposites," "One Moment" is a mysterious, searing look at how an instant can change everything you believe about the world around you.

My Thoughts: I enjoyed this book. I spent many moments either sad or angry as i rode the roller coaster of emotions with Maggie. This story is told from Maggie's point of view. It is heartbreaking on so many levels. Loss is a big theme in this story. The reader experiences the past and present with Maggie as she tries to remember what happened at the top of that cliff. I was on the edge of my set waiting to find out what happened at the top of the cliff and why Maggie has repressed the memories. There is a good deal of time spent with Maggie reliving various moments with/about Joey. I enjoyed these and they gave great incite into their relationship. 

There is some discussion about sex and alcohol.  Although, I would love to think that these are adult themes, they are common place among teens today (I'm making myself feel old) and are appropriate. Maggie's friendships are strained as a result of the accident and her memory loss. I was quickly able to tell that her friends were hiding something. The what and why were an intriguing mystery. 

"nothing stays the same in life."-Maggie 



3 comments:

  1. You and your sad books. This one I wouldn't mind reading, actually. I may have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the review -- sounds like an emotional roller coaster for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the exact same way about sex and alcohol. They seem like they should be adult themes, not YA themes. I'm 30 and, while sex and alcohol definitely occurred, it wasn't as prevalent as it is today. It still bothers me, but if it is done appropriately it is alright. Anyway, I passed up the chance to read this book and I kick myself every time that I read another great review. I really must remedy the situation soon!

    ReplyDelete