Blogger Widgets

Friday, November 30, 2012

And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson, Peter Parnell, Henry Cole

In the zoo there are all kinds of animal families. But Tango's family is not like any of the others. This illustrated children's book fictionalizes the true story of two male penguins who became partners and raised a penguin chick in the Central Park Zoo.

I was surprised that this is a true story and although I understand why some people are offended by it, I still think it's sweet. I chose this one because it seems to make it onto the banned book list frequently, so I figured why not see what all the hype is about. This story is about two male penguins that do everything together and in a way seclude themselves from the other penguin pairs. They can do anything the other penguin’s do except have a baby of their own, no matter how they try. It was interested watching them see what the rest of the penguins and then doing what they did and so cute when they built their little pile of rocks and took turns sitting on it hoping it would become a little penguin. Though, the subject matter may offend some, it really is a touching story about family and love that I think is worth reading.

Author: Justin Richardson, Peter Parnell
Illustrator:Henry Cole
Title: And Tango Makes Three
Publication: April 26, 2005
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers
Rating: 4 out of 5
Pages: 32 pp.
Source: Library


2 comments:

  1. This is super cute. You know i'm full of usless information and it is usually the male penguins that tend to the eggs until they hatch. I think my "little bit" would enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! Sounds adorable! I'll have to read this one too.

    ReplyDelete