Blogger Widgets

Monday, February 11, 2013

Girl of the Moment

Author:  Lizabeth Zindel
Title: Girl of the Moment
Publication: April 5, 2007
Publisher: Viking Young Adult
Genre: Young Adult
Pages: 288
Audience: 16 and up
Rating: 4 out of 5
Source: Purchased

 Synopsis (from the cover): When Lily's internship at the Museum of Modern Art falls through, she thinks her summer is ruined. Then her dad hooks her up with a once-in-a-lifetime chance to interns for Sabrina Snow- sixteen-year-old Hollywood starlet and the girl of the moment. From the pages of Party Weekly magazine, Sabrina's world looks like a nonstop merry-go-round of glamorous parties, red-carpet events, and designer clothes. But Lily soon learns that catering to a rising star is more work than play. Once she develops a crush on Sabrina's boyfriend (that may or may not be reciprocated) and a yearning to help a needy fan, Lily's summer starts to spiral out of control. If she can get things back in order, she will be richly rewarded. But do the costs of working for Sabrina outweigh the benefits?

My thoughts:
I originally bought this for my niece. I was going to read it before I gave it to her, and boy am I glad I did! She is 12 and Amazon's age group is 12 and up. With the language, sexual references, underage drinking, and all the other things it contained, I would suggest 16 and up. I also had an issue with Lily being 16. Unless she was able to skip a grade or start school early, I'm not sure how she was going to college the following year. I was 18 when I graduated high school and started college. So the fact that the characters are 16 and not 17 or 18 bothered me a bit. They acted more like 17 and 18 year old to me.
I started out liking Lily. She was a cool, level-headed teenager trying to boost up her resume' for college. When she gets this internship for Sabrina she becomes a naive, stupid, butt kisser. I wanted to reach into the book and shake her and ask her what her deal is. I mean she some of the most stupid and crazy stuff throughout her internship. Sabrina is your typical spoiled, rich, actress and you really want to mush her face into the dirt she is so snotty along with her friends. I think the only rational character in the book is Sabrina's boyfriend Bronson and Lily's friend, Evie. I can sympathize with Lily's dad too, but I think he goes a little too far when he was the one pushing her to take the internship in the first place. Let's not even touch the needy fan, Taylor. I feel so bad for this girl, but that in itself is just a big mess. The entire book is pretty much a mess and it is entertaining to see how Lily deals with each problem.



9 comments:

  1. I agree with you on Amazon's age ratings sometimes. I try to read whatever my niece is reading or let her mom know what is ok for her to read. I loved that you wanted to shake some since into Lily. I find that I want to do that to most kids nowadays. Thank so much for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds odd. I get what you're saying though. That type of stuff should be for 17+, not 16.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sounds a bit like a ya version of the devil wears prada. thanks for the review. i think it would annoy me, too, if they were all 16. unless they explained the age difference somehow, you're right, she should be older. thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I wonder why they said 12+ if it has such mature content. Is it like that on other bookseller sites?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was debating whether or not to read this book, but since reading your review, I don't think i'll read it! Thanks for saving me the time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot believe that a book like this is rated 12+! The content that you listed are definitely inappropriate, not to mention sounds idiotic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's the worst, isn't it, when a character makes such stupid decisions. I especially dislike the when the female heroine has decided to be as stubborn as possible.
    Oh, and I agree... when I went to college, I was 18. 17 is pretty young but it still happens once in a while, if your birthday is late in the calendar year. 16 is almost unheard of unless she skipped a grade or started kindergarden a year early.

    mestith at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate that - when you buy a book expecting one thing and it turns out something altogether. I wouldn't want a twelve year old reading something meant for older teens.

    ReplyDelete