Blogger Widgets

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Audio Review: Belles by Jen Calonita

Title: Belles
Author: Jen Calonita
Narrator: Julia Whelan
Publisher: Blackstone Audio, Inc.
Format: Unabridged Audio
Length: 9 hrs: 5 mins
Publication: April 2, 2012
Source: Purchased
Genre: Young Adult
Rating: 5 of 5


Synopsis: Isabelle Scott's life may not be easy, but she loves it. She is a star swimmer and lifeguard, has great friends, and has been spending the summer with Brayden, a cute surfer - though they're just friends. But her grandmother, with whom she's lived since her mother died five years earlier, is declining quickly, and Izzie's whole world is upended. She's whisked away from the poor, rough neighborhood where she grew up to live with her aunt, uncle, and cousins in the exclusive Emerald Cove.

Mirabelle Monroe leads a charmed life: her father is a former baseball star about to run for the United States Senate. She's popular and beautiful and has a super cute jock boyfriend. But when her cousin, Izzie, comes to live with her family, her well-ordered world starts to unravel. It doesn't help that Mira's best friend and queen bee, Savannah, hates Izzie from the start, maybe because Izzie seems to be so close to Savannah's boyfriend, Brayden. And Mira doesn't know whether to choose her friends and status at school or her family.

As Izzie and Mira try to navigate their new lives, family secrets are dug up and the girls learn what friends and family truly mean.

My Thoughts: Belles is my first introduction to Jen Calonita and what an astonishing introduction it is. Calonita has crafted memorable characters and a story line we all can relate too. Each character is faced with tough decisions that allow them to grow as individuals

Isabelle (Izzie) has suffered losses in her life. Now, she is faced with losing everything she has known. Having been thrown into a new environment and not being accepted is tough for any teenager. Izzie is from a world where every need is a struggle to achieve and then is faced with a world were every want is satisfied. Izzie has to learn to cope in this new world. 

It was easy to relate to both Izzie and Mira. I was shocked by each revelation in this story, even though I was able to identify some of them before they came to fruition.  They way everything happened was the most shocking. 

Julia Whelan did an admirable job during this single voiced production. The original work is very appropriate for audio adaptation. Whelan differentiated each character by tone, tempo, inflection, and gender. The pacing is fitting and maintained throughout the production. This is an unabridged format is fitting for this story. 

17 comments:

  1. Emerald Cove sounds like a southern town. The book actually sounds like it would be set in the south. Sounds like a good read, and you had it on audio. I'll have to look into this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a southern town. You are very observant. I think you would enjoy this and it would be a good read for your niece.

      Delete
  2. I loved this book! The sequel is really good too. I can't wait to read the third installment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for the third book either. This is a really good series. Have you read the excerpt for the third book on Jen Calonita's website?

      Delete
    2. Hmmm, no I haven't. I'm heading over there now! :)

      Delete
  3. I have been on the fence about starting this series but I think you have pushed me over the edge to do it! Thanks for the great review!

    Eva @ All Books Considered

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great series. Hopefully I will post a review for the second book in the next couple of weeks.

      Delete
  4. I've heard noting but good things able this series

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good for an audio book. I have yet to read this; it's been sitting on my shelf for ages. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Find time to read this this you will really enjoy it.

      Delete
  6. I love the description of this book and by what you wrote in your review it was a gem of a discovery. I am going to have to put this one on my TBR list. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the first that I have actually heard about this book. From your positive review and all these comments I think I will definitely pick this one up. Since I'm not big on audio books I'll be checking out the paperback

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the synopsis. It sounds like a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen mixed reviews on this book, but that still doesn't stop me from wanting to read it. I'm glad you enjoyed it, now I know for sure I should give it a read. Maybe I'll have to pick up the audio book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, i have never listened to a book, as an audio book! I always read books, because, you know, I've always felt that books should be read. I've never read any Jen Calonita books, but I have seen this one around, and it sounds kind of intriguing. I thought it was historical fiction (LOVE historical fiction), but it's not? But you loved it! I might give it a shot. Great review! :D

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great review! I like that you didn't give any spoilers but teased with shocking issues. Makes me want to go out and get the book right now.

    cc_clubbs[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete