Blogger Widgets

Friday, March 29, 2013

The Covenant: Book 1 of Abram's Daughters

Author: Beverly Lewis

Title: The Covenant: Book 1 of Abram's Daughters

Publication: September 1, 2002
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers
Genre: Amish Romance
Pages: 319
Audience: 18 and up
Rating: 2 out of 5
Source: Public Library

Synopsis (from the cover): At the close of World War II, the heart and soul of Gobbler's Knob offers everything young Leah Ebersol cherishes, including her sweetheart Jonas Mast. But for Leah's defiant older sister, Sadie, their Plain heritage holds little appeal compared to the lure of the outside world. For both sisters, it is the time of rumschpringe, when Amish teens are free to run wild before embracing baptismal vows. Those who choose the path of disobedience only find innocence lost and dreams shattered. Drawn into a secret pact with her sister, Leah faces the unthinkable. Will the decision of one wayward soul tarnish her life forever?


My thoughts:
As I have mentioned, I had to pick a genre for a class, and I decided on Amish Romance. The cover and synopsis sounded good enough for me, but I found myself falling asleep while reading it. To be honest, it was pretty boring until the last 30-40 pages, things picked up a bit. However, the Ebersol family has so many secrets, lies, shame, forbidden love, and evil plots- I was surprised the book did not keep me on edge until the end. I understand this is the first book in a series and an author needs to plant seeds to build off of, but I felt like she planted too many. I wish she would have answered at least a couple of my burning questions. My desire to finish the series is zilch, so I may try to find the spoilers somewhere. I did feel like the characters were real people with real problems, but I've never known a whole family to have their own buckets of problems and not share. So maybe that is my problem with the book- you need someone to vent or confide to at some point. If you like slow paced series books with tons of seeds to be answered later on, then try The Covenant.
 

4 comments:

  1. I've had this book for a little while but haven't read it yet. It sounds like something I would enjoy. I like slower paced books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Covenant:Book 1 of Abram's Daughters by Beverly Lewis
    sounds like it might be interesting to read.
    I had never heard of this author until i saw your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your honest review. For some reason, I'm fascinated by the Amish lifestyle. I've seen several good movies/TV shows about this way of life. I own some books in this genre too.

    Beverly Lewis is a well-known author of Amish fiction and the book's premise sounds intriguing. I do have limited patience with slow-paced books. I'll give a book 50 pages(min) and 100 pages(max) before I put it aside for later or never.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a fan of slow paced books but I have been wanting to try new genres and Amish Romance has been recoomended by several friends for light reads. However you review tells me that they are not so light with the mulitple plot seeds. I will have to give this a try,thank you for honest opinion! :)

    ReplyDelete