Blogger Widgets

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Author: Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Title:Beautiful Darkness, Caster Chronicles #2
Publication: September 19, 2011
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Genre: Paranormal, Young Adult
Pages: 528
Audience: 16 and up
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Source: Purchased

Synopsis (from Amazon.com): Ethan Wate used to think of Gatlin, the small Southern town he had always called home, as a place where nothing ever changed. Then he met mysterious newcomer Lena Duchannes, who revealed a secret world that had been hidden in plain sight all along. A Gatlin that harbored ancient secrets beneath its moss-covered oaks and cracked sidewalks. A Gatlin where a curse has marked Lena's family of powerful Supernaturals for generations. A Gatlin where impossible, magical, life-altering events happen.

Sometimes life-ending.

Together they can face anything Gatlin throws at them, but after suffering a tragic loss, Lena starts to pull away, keeping secrets that test their relationship. And now that Ethan's eyes have been opened to the darker side of Gatlin, there's no going back. Haunted by strange visions only he can see, Ethan is pulled deeper into his town's tangled history and finds himself caught up in the dangerous network of underground passageways endlessly crisscrossing the South, where nothing is as it seems.


My thoughts:
At first I did not like this book. I actually got bored and frustrated reading it. I really loved the first one and held high hopes for this book as well. I think it was mainly because Lena acted like such a brat through out the novel. I understand that some major events happened that caused a lot of hurt, but I felt she was wrong to push Ethan so far when he was hurt too. Anyway, there are a few new characters involved and some surprising news deposited through the story that I was totally not expecting. The story was a lot weirder and a bit darker than the first novel. I enjoyed it once Lena was kind of out of the picture. She really grated on my nerves during this novel. I felt really bad for Ethan, but he managed to keep his emotions in check and not go crazy in this novel. He learned a lot of information about him and his family that he could have let overwhelm him but he kept it together very well. Link is always a hoot and provided a good laugh when necessary. Ridley is back! I love that bad girl, but I feel she is actually good inside, but only time will tell. Of course the three crazy sisters are in this novel and Lucille the cat plays a vital role as well. I deducted a half star due to Lena being so annoying, but the story got better after a few chapters. Well worth reading to keep up with the series.
 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh I am really excited to read this one now! Even though Lena sounds annoying in this one... I just want to meet the new characters and read what the news is! I really liked the first one and I loved the movie although it was so different from the book!

    ReplyDelete