Blogger Widgets

Monday, July 15, 2013

The Nightmare Garden

Author: Caitlin Kittredge

Narrator: Katie MacNichol
Title: The Nightmare Garden: The Iron Codex Book Two
Publication: February 14, 2012
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers /Listening Library
Genre: Graphic Novel, Comic Book
Pages: 432
Length: 14 hours and 19 minutes
Audience: 16 and up
Rating: 4 out of 5
Source: Public Library

Synopsis (from the Amazon.com): Everything Aoife thought she knew about the world was a lie. There is no Necrovirus. And Aoife isn't going to succomb to madness because of a latent strain—she will lose her faculties because she is allergic to iron. Aoife isn't human. She is a changeling—half human and half from the land of Thorn. And time is running out for her.

When Aoife destroyed the Lovecraft engine she released the monsters from the Thorn Lands into the Iron Lands and now she must find a way to seal the gates and reverse the destruction she's ravaged on the world that's about to poison her.


My thoughts:
 My plans were not to continue with the series, but I could not get the characters or the story out of my head. I also accidentally read the cover of the last book in the trilogy, and I just knew I had to read it. After listening to this novel and the first, I have come to the conclusion that the first book is mainly to set the stage and introduce all the characters. This book is mainly action and a lot of truths come out in this one. The evidence behind the truth was always there, but were you clever enough to catch it? I wasn't and at first I was shocked, but when I thought back on the story the little revelations made a lot of sense.
Aoife really steps it up in this book. She is no longer the good, quiet Victorian girl. She is her own woman whether or not others like it. She also makes her own decisions and pays dearly for their consequences, but she is not as naive and is ready to face the challenge. Her brother Conrad is such a jerk in this novel. I'm not sure how she ever looked up to him. Dean is just as charming. Aoife and Conrad's father is now in the picture but he cannot make up for lost time. Plus, Aoife is smart and has already made up her mind.
There are some new characters and they help the action sequences along. I feel like Aoife really steps up to the game and accepts the responsibility for all that she has done and will do. She is such a strong willed character. There is more action in this novel than the first. From the synopsis of the last book, it looks like it will be filled with some action and life or death situations.
 I really enjoy Katie MacNichol's audio performance. If there was ever a movie production of this series, she would have to play Aoife (as well as Dean, Betina, and Conrad, Narissa, etc). She does the narration so well! There is never any confusion of who is speaking when and the voices she does for each individual character has been unique. She is a wonderful narrator and makes this crazy, sci-fi, dystopian, steam punk story an enjoyable story to listen to. I cannot wait to get my hands on the audio version of The Mirrored Shard.

No comments:

Post a Comment