Blogger Widgets

Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Darkest Night by Gena Showalter

Author:Gena Showalter
Title: The Darkest Night
Publication: May 1st, 2008
Publisher: HQN Books
Genre: Romance
Rating: 5 out 5
Website | Goodreads | Amazon | BN
Synopsis: 

His powers -- Inhuman...
His passion -- Beyond immortal . . .
All her life, Ashlyn Darrow has been tormented by voices from the past. To end the nightmare, she has come to Budapest seeking help from men rumored to have supernatural abilities, not knowing she'll be swept into the arms of Maddox, their most dangerous member--a man trapped in a hell of his own.Neither can resist the instant hunger that calms their torments...and ignites an irresistible passion. But every heated touch and burning kiss will edge them closer to destruction--and a soul-shattering test of love. Though they carry an eternal curse, the Lords of the Underworld are irresistibly seductive -- and unimaginably powerful.


Thoughts:  
Gena Showalter is my favorite Romance author (apart from P.C. Cast). The first romance book I've read was written by her -- which I'm going to review soon of course -- and I've been hooked ever since! It starts out with the Lords of the Underworld. They're each cursed with a demon as punishment for killing Pandora. The demons are everyday tormants we sometimes go through such as lies, pain, death, wrath, nightmares, secrets, defeat. These demons control their life. The punishment is horrible if they don't cave into their demons. If the lord is "lies", he'll be in incredible pain if he tells the truth, or if one of the lords is "defeat" he'll go insane if he didn't win, and "pain"... well, he just likes to be in pain. This book is about the keeper of Violence. He's the badass of the group, and the most dangerous.

Ashlyn is troubled with sercrets herself. When they both meet, passion flares. She's sweet and innocent, which makes Maddox very protective and loyal. Both of them fight their demons together. The book is your normal romance story: big macho man, sweet innocent girl, KLABAM sex.

What makes this story different is the personalities of all the lords. Each of them are different and you end up wanting their story too. It's about having a hard life, but finding someone who can balance out that harshness with love. It's a good read if you want something steamy. She explains sex in detail, so if you want something descret or toned down this isn't for you.



7 comments:

  1. I love back stories. Does she ever explain the character's back stories? When I saw The Watchmen (I haven't read it yet), I wanted to know about the original members and who they were before they died or retired. Now the back stories are coming out and I'm super excited! I mean romance and sex isn't bad, but I like a little history and story to it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she explains back stories about each lord. Every past is different which is why all the books are amazing. There are about 16 immortals that you read about during the whole series so far, so you need to remember a lot of names. :P

      I love the sex part, and she doesn't overdo it. It's just like, two scenes and they're only a few pages long. I know Romance that's more about bow-chica-bow-wow and less about plot. The Darkest Night doesn't have that problem.

      Delete
  2. I have yet to read any of Gena Showalter's books but this one has been on my list to read. I'm glad you rated it a 5.

    Thanks for your time and effort with helping readers out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Gena Showalters' books, and I particularly enjoy the Lords of the Underworld series. I really enjoyed Maddox and Ashlyn's story. For some reason, when I think about that series, their story comes to mind first. I don't know if it's because it was the first of the LOTU series that I read or what. Maybe it's my favorite. :)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say that Gena Showalter is also one of my favorite authors. I love all her books and this one was no different. I anxiously await each of the Lord's stories. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gena Showalter is one of my favorite authors, all the Lords of the Underworld are great but William is my fave! lol love him

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read there first 5 books in Gena Showalter's Alien Huntress Series which I just love. Her Lords of the Underworld series has been on my TBR/wish list for a while now. I keep running across great reviews, like this one, of the books in this series and really start fiending. I really need to get moving on this.

    ReplyDelete